Maritime Museum - The most important information
The museum is located on the Boka Navy Square, in the Old Town, and is housed in Grgurina Palace, which dates back to the 17th century. The museum's permanent exhibition covers the period from the foundation of the Boka Navy, from the 9th century, until the end of the Second World War. In addition to the museological role, the institution also has a cultural character, due to the organization of various manifestations such as book promotion, painting exhibitions, musical performances and marking important events.
History of the Maritime Museum
The idea to establish the Maritime Museum in Kotor arose at the end of the 19th century and came from members of the Boka Navy. At one of their meetings, they expressed their desire to form a collection of objects of historical and cultural value that would represent the beginning of maritime museological activity in Kotor.
What to see in the Maritime Museum?
There are three collections within the museum:
- Maritime-technical - a collection that evokes the maritime-technical tradition of Boka.
- Historical-artistic - a collection that shows the historical - traditional elements of the city and the luxurious interiors of the palaces of Kotor.
- Ethnological collection - shows the skills of Kotor craftsmen and the wealth of traditional folk art of Boka.
Maritime Museum opening hours and ticket prices
Ticket prices for the Maritime Museum:
- Regular ticket price: 5 euros
- Reduced ticket price: 1 euro for children and students
- Reduced ticket price: 2 euros for groups of more than 10 people
Working hours of the Maritime Museum:
- Summer working hours: from 9am to 9pm
- Winter working hours: from 9am to 2pm
How to get to the Maritime Museum?
As the museum is conveniently located, you will find it without any problems.
- By car or on foot: The museum is located in the very center of the city, on the Boka Navy Square, so you will reach the museum extremely quickly, starting from any part of the city. You should take the E80 and E65 roads. Kantun Tavern and Crnojevic Palace are located near it.