Moscow is a bustling and lively city with a diverse range of attractions to suit any visitor or traveler. You will enjoy it whether you travel with your friends or family for a vacation or as an adventurer with a backpack. Here are some of the tours and events that you may attend to have the most spectacular time in Russia's most famous city.
Best Tours - Moscow is a significant and city rich in culture and history. Many landmarks and monumental buildings must be seen and the best way to explore them, as the whole city, is by taking one of the many interesting tours. We will recommend you some of them, and it’s up to you to find the one that matches you the most.
- Walking Tour of Moscow - In 4 hours, you will get a chance to see the most important buildings in Moscow from outside, by walking and taking the metro.
- Moscow Kremlin Tour - Is also a walking tour during which you will get to see the whole Kremlin with all the cathedrals and armory chambers.
- Bolshoi Theatre Tour - This is one of the most famous cultural places in Moscow. This remarkable theater holds ballet and opera performances and it’s worth taking a tour to explore it in the right manner.
- Soviet Tour of Moscow - Many buildings testimony the 20th century Moscow, which at the time was the center of the USSR power. The city played a big role during WW2 and Cold War, and many other events that marked the 1900’s. It’s a rare and priceless opportunity to discover that part of Moscow that was a big part of creating the world’s history.
- Vodka Museum and Tasting Session - Vodka is the most famous drink in Russia, and the whole country is proud of it. This drink makes a big part in Russian tradition and culture, and if you are a fan of alcoholic drinks, this tour will be ideal for you.
Best Shopping - People of Moscow are always well-dressed and they nurture a love towards high-fashion designed pieces of clothes, footwear, and accessories. Because of that, many streets are dedicated to fashion and shopping.
- GUM - This is the largest department store in Russia. It’s located in the 19th-century monumental building, with many impressive stores and boutiques inside, such as Dolce&Gabbana, Valentino, Jimmy Choo, and Saint Laurent.
- Arbat Street - One of the oldest streets in Moscow has to offer many different stores, where you can buy souvenirs, clothing and then take a break in some of the restaurants and cafes in the street. This is also an excellent street for a walk since there are located small and old buildings.
- Izmailovo Market - Here, you’ll find a famous ushanka hat, icons, and other handicrafts as well as many souvenirs. This flea market is ideal for someone who likes to bargain and to spend less money.
- Kuznetsky Most - This is the place where you can enjoy shopping for clothes from all over the world, jewels, and other elegant accessories. Besides that, there are many places where you can find used books if you are interested in reading Russian.
- Tverskaya - A famous street for luxury shopping.
- Flacon Design Centre - This is a hip and modern place where many modern and young artists and designers will find works
Events and festivals - Moscow is a city that has a lot of very interesting festivals and manifestations. These events are a great opportunity to discover Russian tradition and history:
- Winter Festival - Every year Russia celebrates its longest and the most beautiful season. During this period, many squares are transformed into ice-skating rinks, and all over the city are organized many events. Most of them are at Izmailovo Park and Revolution Square, where you can hear Russian music and see traditional dances and costumes. Fairs, ice sculptures, and concerts are just some of many activities and festivities organized from mid-December until mid-January.
- Moscow Golden Mask Festival - This festival is organized during March and Aprile and it hosts many visual artists. Shows like ballet, opera, drama are performed in these 2 months, representing a miracle for every art lover.
- Moscow International Film Festival - During this festival around 200 movies are shown from 50 countries all over the world, and they are a major event in the city. This glamorous festival at the end gives an award named Moscow International Film Festival. If you are a fan of cinema, this will be a perfect event for you.
- The Orthodox Christmas - Christmas is in Moscow celebrated in a more house manner. Nevertheless, this is the happiest holiday in Orthodox Russia. People spend it with their families at home or go to church on Christmas Eve until the morning of Christmas.
- Taste of Moscow - Taste of Moscow takes place 27-30 June every year. This is the time when most of the famous restaurants open their doors welcoming guests at the masterclasses and food tastings.
- New Year - As it is a tradition in many Orthodox countries, New Year may be celebrated twice. The first one is like for many people, on 31st of December, and the other one, known as the Old New Year is celebrated on the night between 13th and 14th of January. At that point, Russians wait for the famous president’s speech and enjoy events and fairs on the city’s main streets.