If you're planning a trip to Cancun, you'll find some of the most important details listed here. Keep them with you at all times because you never know when you'll need them once you're in the city. The ideal way is to take a screenshot of the emergency numbers and write them down on a piece of paper in case of an emergency.
Official Language and other languages spoken - The official language spoken in Cancun is Spanish, though some of the people speak Mayan as a first, and Spanish as a second language. English is also widely spoken in the city, since many international, mostly American tourists often come to Cancun.
Entering the city: Procedures and requirements - Travelers without a visa who are visiting Mexico for pleasure or business can stay for up to 180 days, while transit travelers can stay for up to 30 days. This also applies to the city of Cancun.
- Mexico dialing code prefix is +52, and for Cancun is 998
- Cancun Hotel Zone Police - 885-0569
- Police Department - 884-1913
- Fire Department - 884-1202
- Weather Center - 884-4341
- Tourist Assistance Office - 884-8073
- The official currency of Cancun, as in the whole of Mexico, is Peso. And Peso equals 100 centavos. Although this is the official currency, American Dollars can be accepted in some of the Cancun hotels. 100 Mexican Pesos is around ＄4.70, and about €4.20.
- Cancun is not considered much expensive, in comparison to other tropical resort cities. If you would like to spend a luxurious vacation, you will need around €1.500 per week. But if you make a budget trip, about €600 should be enough for one week. If you want to save some extra money, our tips will come in handy.
- Maybe you will consider visiting Cancun out of the peak season when the prices are lower. The weather is not much different, and you still get to enjoy your vacation.
- Eating out of the Hotel Zone may be a great option if you want to save money. This is also an excellent way of getting to know the city and locals.
- Even though you can use U.S. Dollars for paying in the Hotel Zone, the better idea is to convert money into Pesos, it will save you some money.
- Buying tickets online for events, tours and sites will save you additional Pesos.
- If you want to buy souvenirs and gifts, get deeper into the city. Every place that is readily available for tourists usually is more expensive. And if you don’t see price tags on the things you want to buy, feel free to haggle.
Useful apps, free travel map
- Google Translate - Even though many people speak English, make sure to have this app with you in case you need a translation from Spanish. It will also be useful if you want to speak with locals or learn some Spanish phrases.
- Uber - There are taxis available in the city, but using the Uber app will help you find and book a ride. You will also save some money, which is an additional benefit.
- Google Maps - If you are walking downtown, or even visiting nearby places and areas, Google Maps will come in handy. You can also check the traffic and make sure to get in time to the museums and archeological sites.
- Cancun Smart App - This is an all-in-one app, that will make your vacation perfect. You can check many things, such as weather, news, tours, events, and money exchange rates.
- THC Cancun - This is an order and delivery app. You can find anything you need and make it delivered right to your room.