Medvednica - Most important information
Medvednica is one of the most popular picnic spots for all residents of Zagreb, as well as beyond. It is north of Zagreb, while its highest point is the top of Sljeme. It is highly visited both in winter and summer, as evidenced by the developed ski centers, many hiking trails, and the beautiful arrangement of this Nature Park.
The importance of Medvednica
Medvednica is dominated by spacious and dense forests, which makes it the right choice for all Zagreb residents who want to take a break from the city noise and enjoy the natural environment. Also, many hiking trails on Medvednica enable endless recreation and stay in nature. In addition, Medvednica is a top-rated ski center, which is supported by the fact that the Women's World Ski Cup is held here. In addition, Medvednica is a frequent choice of the world's biggest and most popular skiers, while there are several well-maintained ski resorts on the mountain.
What to see in Medvednica?
Medvednica is an area of exceptional natural beauty, and each attraction will leave a special impression on you. Therefore, take a tour of some of the most popular attractions that adorn this mountain.
- Rudnik Zrinski: Zrinski Mine is a former silver mine that opened in the 16th century. This mine was opened for visitors in 2004 and, accompanied by a guide, will allow you to hear stories related to the mine while listening to the sounds of water dripping.
- Veternica Cave: Veternica Cave is a natural attraction of Medvenica, and it is only 9 km from the City Square in Zagreb. It is a cave that has more than 7 kilometers of branching channels. Here you can see different shell fossils, bear jaws, bats, and natural forms.
- Medvedgrad: Medvedgrad is a medieval fortress that has existed for eight centuries. From the top of the defense is a beautiful view of Zagreb and its surroundings.
Opening hours and ticket prices:
The entrance to the Medvednica mountain is accessible. However, the mentioned tourist offers inside the mountain have specific working hours and prices since they are of great social and cultural importance.
- Rudnik Zrinski: Rudnik Zrinski is open for visitors on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., while visits are possible on other days by appointment. The ticket price is HRK 25, while certain groups can get a discount.
- Veternica Cave: Veternica Cave can be visited on weekends from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The price for adults is HRK 40.
- Medvedgrad: The Medvednik Center is open from Tuesday to Sunday, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. For more information, visit the Medvednica website.
How to get to Medvednica?
Medvednica is north of Zagreb, and one part of the city relies on it. Therefore, getting to the mountain and other tourist attractions it contains is quick and easy, and it is possible to get there using transport.
- By car: Medvednica can be reached from Zagreb via the Sljemenski road to the Grafičar mountain lodge.
- By bus: Gornji Stenjevac can be reached by bus line 124.