Hollywood Sign - the most important information
The Hollywood Sign is one of the most iconic landmarks of all the USA. It overlooks Hollywood in Los Angeles because it is situated on Mount Lee. The Hollywood Sign is the symbol of the entertainment industry and it is recognized all over the world.
About the Hollywood Sign
The Sign was created in 1923 and it originally read HOLLYWOODLAND because it was supposed to advertise a new housing development in the hills. The Sign was beginning to deteriorate by the mid-1940s, so the developers turned it over to the City of Los Angeles and it became a part of Griffith Park. The land part was removed in 1949, and a fundraiser was held in 1978 to raise funds for the rebuilding costs of the Sign because it had been infested by termites. The new sign was unveiled in November 1978. It is 13.7 meters tall and 106.7 meters long. The Hollywood Sign has been shown in many movies, TV shows, music videos, and video games. Some of the movies that show the sign are The Day After Tomorrow, when it was destroyed by a tornado, and Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lighting Thief, where it was the entrance to the Underworld. Here are some other interesting facts about the Hollywood Sign:
- The original sign was actually bigger than the current one.
- The original sign had 4,000 light bulbs.
- The sign was designed by Thimas Fisk Goff from England.
- The sign was hit by a car in 1928.
- The Hollywood Sign was also lit in 1984 when Los Angeles was the host of the Olympic Summer Games.
Where are the best views of the Hollywood Sign?
We recommend you check out these spots when you want to get amazing views of the Hollywood Sign:
- Griffith Park - this is probably the best place to see the Hollywood sign from. You can get there by multiple hiking trails on Mt. Hollywood.
- Hollywood & Highland - there are multiple places in this shopping center from which you can see the Sign. Once you’re there you can also shop, go to a theatre or dine in a restaurant.
- Sunset Ranch Hollywood - you can get a guided tour while horseback riding. The Ranch is located in Hollywood Hills so you will have a perfect chance to see the Hollywood Sign.
- Barnsdall Art Park - if you visit this park close to the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vermont Avenue, you will have breathtaking views of Los Angeles and the Hollywood Sign.
How to get to the Hollywood Sign?
You cannot get to the Hollywood Sign itself since that is forbidden. Here is how you can get to the previously mentioned spots:
- Griffith Park - the official transit provider to Griffith Park is DASH Observatory that goes from the Sunset/Vermont Metro.
- Hollywood & Highland - you can get to this shopping center by The Metro Red Line, Hollywood/Highland station.
- Sunset Ranch Hollywood - you can get to the Ranch from Hollywood Blvd. and the Walk of Fame if you go east and then turn left on Gower, right on Franklin and left on Beachwood Dr. Go until the top of the street and you’ll see the Ranch.
- Barnsdall Art Park - you can get to the park by bus numbers 180, 206, 217, Hollywood/New Hampshire stop, or by metro Metro B Line (Red), Vermont/Sunset Station.
What should you know before visiting the Hollywood Sign?
Have in mind these things before you head out to your sightseeing tour of the Hollywood Sign:
- Smoking is not allowed in Griffith Park. Drones are also not allowed near the Sign, as well as in Griffith Park.
- You cannot drive to the sign because it only has a private road for city-approved vehicles like the LAPD or Park Rangers.