Hutovo blato - the most important information
Hutovo blato is the name of a wetland in southern Herzegovina, which is only 7 km away from Čapljina. This area is divided into 2 parts by the limestone ridge Ostrovo: Gornje or Deransko and Donje or Svitavsko blato. There are smaller isolated surfaces in the shape of a lake (Škrka, Jelim, Drijen, Orah ...) and oval depressions called oko. Stay with us and learn more about Hut's mud and how you can get to it below.
Characteristics of Hutovo blato
Hutovo Blato Nature Park was founded in 1995. It is considered one of the largest wintering grounds for birds in Europe. This nature park is spread over wetlands, plains and hilly terrain, so you can see wetland birds and many fish species, among which eels stand out. Hutovo blato is an ornithological reserve under the protection of the state, where as many as 250 species of birds spend their summers or permanent lives. At this place you will have at your disposal a number of interesting activities, such as:
- Boat rides,
- Bird watching,
- Sport fishing
- Bicycle or canoe rental.
How to get to Hutovo blato?
- Hutovo blato is about 40 kilometers away from Neum, so it is best to reach this place by car (you will arrive in an hour via M17.3).
- Hutovo blato is about 14 kilometers away from the town of Čapljina, so you will travel from there only half an hour (via the M6).
Opening hours and ticket prices
- You can visit the Hutovo Blato Nature Park from Tuesday to Sunday, in the time interval from 8 am to 4 pm, while on Mondays the park is open from 8 am to 6 pm.
- The entrance fee for children and students costs only 1 convertible mark, which is about 60 dinars.
- All other domestic visitors pay 2 convertible marks, while the ticket price for tourists is 4 marks.