King's Nikola's Palace – Most important information
King's Nikola's Palace is on the promenade of King Nikola, near the center of Bar. The castle's real name is Villa Topolica, which was given to it by Petar Karadjordjevic, after the town of Topola, Serbia. He built this magnificent building on the seashore. Today its main function is the Native Museum. Nowdays, the castle is mostly used for gallery exhibition and musical-stage purposes.
History of King's Nikola's Palace
The central place of the former summer residence of King Nikola is the palace built in 1883. The palace was built on the ruins of the villa of the last Turkish lord of Bar, Selim-bey Mustafagic. After the liberation of Bar, King Nikola gave the place to his daughter, Princess Zorka, and his son-in-law, Prince Petar Karadjordjevic.
What to see in King's Nikola's Palace?
If you have the opportunity to visit the palace, we advise you to visit its associated facilities.
- Great castle - the building was built in the spirit of residential buildings of that time. It has a rectangular base with a facade facing the sea. It consists of a ground floor, a first floor and a mansard. Today, the Great Castle is home to the Native Museum. You can see the original appearance of some of the rooms in it.
- Small castle - also facing the sea, reminiscent of villas built around lakes in Northern Italy.
- Palace Chapel - the chapel is a smaller building with a porch on metal pillars. It is located between the Great and Small Castles and is built of metal plates.
- The winter garden - was a gift from the Italian King Emmanuel. The building was made from a glazed metal structure with decorative details in the form of art nouveau.
Working hours and ticket prices
- The ticket price is 1 euro, and for children up to 10 years it is 0.50 cents.
- Working hours in the season: from 9 am to 3 pm and from 5 pm to 11 pm. In the off-season from 9 am to 3 pm.
How to get to King's Nikola's Palace?
You can get to the most famous decoration of Bar in several ways - by bus, or taxi, but you can also take a walk and enjoy the pleasant coastal air and beautiful landscapes.
- By bus - if you are visiting a suburban settlement in Bar, near King's Nikola's Palace there are bus stops Topolica 1 and Topolica 2 and bus stop Pravoslavni Hram.
- By car or on foot - from the center of Bar, it will take you 20 minutes on foot to reach the palace. We advise you to go north along Milo Boskovic Street and turn left onto Marsal Tito Street. Then enter IV Crnogorske Brigade Street. Next to the Knjazeva basta restaurant, there is King's Nikola's Palace. By car, you will reach this destination in 7 to 10 minutes of driving.