Church of Holy Apostles Petar and Pavle - the most important information
The Orthodox Church dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul as such has been located in Banja Koviljaca since 1975. It belongs to the Sabac diocese. It was built according to the project of the architect Dragomir Tadic and it took 6 years to build. It was consecrated by Bishop Jovan Velimirovic.
History of the church of Holy Apostles Petar and Pavle
Banja Koviljaca belonged to the parish of Loznica until 1924, when there was a need for a new building in which worship services were performed. After a part of the Orphanage was adapted into a chapel, the original construction of the church began in 1939. At that time, the service was performed by Milivoje Isakov.
The construction was interrupted during the Second World War, and in the process until that moment, the church was raised to the roof. After the war, in 1949, by order of the then government, the church was demolished due to the disruption of the Banja Koviljaca complex and the endangerment of green areas. The material of the demolished church was used for the construction of schools in Gornja Koviljaca and Trbusnica.
In 1954, Bishop Jovan Velimirovic became the head of the Diocese of Sabac and Valjevo. Together with Sreten Todorovic they initiated a lawsuit against the Loznica municipality in order to compensate the damage to the material and land that were confiscated.
In June 1969, the construction of the church on the new grounds began. From 1997 to 2005, iconostasis were painted in the church, which are the works of the priest Dobrica Kostic from Smederevo.
Significance of the church of Holy Apostles Petar and Pavle
- Since 2019, in front of the church is a newly built amphitheater with 340 seats, which is intended for holding spiritual and cultural events, literary evenings, plays and similar gatherings.
- The choir "Sabor srpskih svetitelja" was founded within the church.
- A visit to this church is a significant part of the tourist offer of the Banja Koviljaca
What to see
In front of the church is a small shop with church souvenirs, candles and products from Banja Koviljaca that you can buy as a souvenir. There are also two fountains with icons where you can refresh yourself. The iconostasis of Dobrica Kostic is rich in quality frescoes, of which the "Transfiguration of Jesus" stands out, as well as another icon that also depicts Jesus and is located in the central part of the church.
How to get to the church of Holy Apostles Petar and Pavle?
The church is only 10 minutes walk from the park in Banja Koviljaca and it is easiest to reach it on foot. There is a route that you can use to arrive by car and park in front of the church.
- By car: along Marsala Tita Street until the turn to road 331 all the way to the Apartments Vasiljevic, from where it is necessary to turn into Filip Kljajic Street and then Zdravko Masanovic Street; this ride takes less than 10 minutes
- On foot: The same route can be followed for a walk to the church, but you can shorten it through the park to the Apartments Vasiljevic
- To enter the church it is necessary to follow a specific dress code that includes covered shoulders and no short pants, skirts or dresses.