Crkva Svetog Preobrazenja Gospodnjeg - the most important information
The church in the center of Sokobanja is one of the most important religious buildings in this area. It was built as an endowment of Metropolitan Mihail and is dedicated to the day he was born, which falls on the holiday of Transfiguration of the Lord Jesus Christ (August 19).
The construction of this building lasted from 1884 to 1892, and the entire complex has been renovated several times throughout history. It was built in the Serbian-Byzantine style, according to the design of the architect Svetozar Ivackovic and the hardworking hands of Italian builders. The facade of the church, originally made of ocher and red bricks, is now white. The woodwork has been renovated, and the interior got refreshed.
The significance of the church
The Church of the Transfiguration is important as a monument because of its spiritual dimension. But, it is also significant from the aspects of architecture and art. Its refined appearance adorns the center of Sokobanja, and the interior preserves many valuable details. Apart from the original function of the Orthodox church, this church also serves as a valuable archive in which the history of the Sokobanja region is being stored.
What to see
The construction of the church Crkva Preobrazenja brought a new spiritual space, a place for prayer and rest. Today, this is a building rich in many ways, with sacral and historical content that testifies to many events. Today, in the church you can see prominent elements such as:
- Iconostasis - made at the end of the 19th or the beginning of the 20th century, with a prominent large icon of the Mother of God. This icon is modeled on the Russian icon of the Mother of God "I am with you".
- Archive from 1835 - a collection of writings and books, including the Gospel from 1836, which Prince Milos Obrenovic donated to the church. The archive is well preserved, except for the records from the period from 1912 to 1918. This part of the collection was burned during the Bulgarian occupation.
- Church gifts - two Gospels and a chalice that the church received as a gift from the Russian count Todor Kotov. Among the gifts are various donations, such as the new church door donated by the president of the Church Municipality.
- Book of wishes - in which every visitor can write a wish or a request to the Lord. This book is constantly open, and it is believed that the wishes written here are really coming true. All the writings of the wish book are also kept in the church archives.
How to get to the church
This church is located right next to the inn Milosev Konak in the center of the spa. You can reach it:
- By car: you can reach the promenade where the church is located on Mitropolita Mihaila Street.
- By taxi: Cool Green Taxi - 069 636215; Taxi Blizanci - 062 30313
- On foot: you have to approach the church on foot because it is located near the promenade.
Time to visit
You can visit the church every day.
Prayers and services are held every day.
- Morning: from 7:30 am
- Evening: from 5 pm (in winter from 6 pm)
- Holidays: Holy Liturgy from 8:00 am
- Sunday: Holy Liturgy from 8:30 am
Dress code: it is recommended that you come to church decently dressed in clothes that cover your shoulders and knees.
This place is also known for other objects that participate in the cultural upliftment of this area. Near this church, a primary school (1894) and the first ecological society (1895) were built as educational institutions.