Crkva Sveti Sava – the most important information
Crkva Sveti Sava is a memorial church of special significance. Aside from the memorial park Sumarice, this is another place dedicated to the massacre which occurred in Kragujevac in 1941 when the German occupiers shot around 3000 civilians, including 300 students. It is placed in the quarter of Kragujevac, Aerodrom.
History of crkva Sveti Sava
The church is named after Saint Sava, the monk of monastery Studenica, a literate and the youngest son of the Great Prince Stefan Nemanja. It was built in 1990 by the design of Radoslav Prokic, a Serbian architect. The foundation was sanctified by the Bishop Jovan and twenty years later the Patriarch Irinej sanctified the church, thus, paying it respect.
The church is grand, in Byzantine style, with an octangle dome in the middle and four in the corners. Also, there is a four-level bell tower which additional beautifies it. The external part is decorated with plastic rosette and one-part windows are unusually framed in a circular shape. The fresco painting started in 2000. On September 8, 2001, a peculiar phenomenon was recorded. An icon of Jesus Christ shed tears and by decision of Bishop Jovan, every night until Krstovdan, a special celebratory service was held – akathist.
How to get to crkva Sveti Sava
Crkva Sveti Sava is placed in the quarter called Aerodrom, around twenty minutes away from the city center, thus, the best soultion for its reach is by car, taxi or bus:
- Bus lines: 2, 3, 5, 16, 19
- During the great Serbian holidays, the services are held in the morning and evening hours.
- Code of conduct: Appropriate attire is required when entering the church.