Monastery Savina - The most important information
Manastir Savina complex is 2 kilometers away from Herceg Novi, in the part of the town of Savina. It is considered one of the most beautiful buildings of Baroque architecture.
History of Monastery Savina
The monastery complex consists of three churches; The Small Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Great Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Church of Saint Sava, after which the monastery was named. The exact year of its foundation cannot be determined, nor who founded it, but it is believed that Saint Sava himself did it in the 13th century. It is known that in its centuries-long history, the monastery has been devastated and destroyed several times. The most significant renovation took place at the end of the 17th century, when monks from the destroyed Herzegovinian monastery Tvrdoš, led by Bishop Savatije Ljubibratić, moved to Savin.
The small church of the Assumption of the Most Holy Mother of God probably originates from 1030, but the first writings in which it is mentioned are from 1648. The big church is the work of a Dalmatian builder, and it is interesting that the building permit dating from 1776 has been preserved and is located in the treasury of the monastery.
Significance of the Monastery Savina
- Inside the monastery there are icons that are a gift from old Orthodox families from Herceg Novi. The treasury of the monastery is also very rich, the exhibits that stand out are the crystal cross of Saint Sava from the 13th century, the Gospel from the 17th century and the ark of the Tvrdoš Monastery from 1615.
- The monastery library contains a large number of valuable books and documents.
Working hours of Monastery Savina
The monastery is open to visitors from sunrise to sunset. While the schedule of worship is as follows:
- Daily Worship: 06: 00h Midnight, morning and first hour; 18:00 Evening and small dinner
- Holy Liturgy: 08:00 Saturday and 09: 00h Sundays and holidays
How to get to the Monastery Savina ?
The monastery is located on Manastirska street in Herceg Novi, which isn't hard to reach. Here's how:
- By car - it takes about 7 minutes from the center of Herceg Novi, on the main road E65.
- By foot - From the Old Town in Herceg Novi follow the streets Stjepana Sarenca, then Prve Bokeske Brigade until you reach Manastirska street, from where the Monastery is not far.