Forte Mare Herceg Novi - The most Important information

Forte Mare Fortress means Sea Fortress. It is located in the southern part of the Old Town in Herceg Novi, next to the city port Škver, on the coast. It used to be one of the main fortifications of the city and controlled the entrance and exit from the city.

History of the fortress Forte Mare
It was built between the 14th and 17th centuries and represented an early formation of a medieval town founded by Tvrtko I Kotromanić in the 14th century. It was reconstructed by the Venetians in the 17th century, and after that by the Austro-Hungarians, to whom it owes its present appearance.
In 1952, the fortress was adapted into an open-air summer stage, where performances and concerts are held.

Why visit Forte Mare?

For more than six decades, the screening of films has been organized at the fortress during the summer season, and according to many, it is one of the most beautiful and oldest open-air cinemas. In addition, the fortress offers a magnificent view of the bay, the city port and the slopes of Orjen.

Characteristics of the Forte Mare fortress
The fortress was built on stone above the promenade, within its walls there is a passage leading from the shore to the top of the fortress. The oldest remains are a piece of wall on the southeast side and a small staircase on the east side of the fortress. At its foot is a spring that the fighters of the Holy League drained in 1687, thus leaving the city without drinking water and facilitating the conquest. At the top are the Sea Gate, which is considered one of the most beautiful examples of fortification architecture today.

Ticket price and opening hours
  • Opening hours of the fortress - The fortress is open every day from 10:00 to 20:00.
  • Ticket price - The ticket price is 1 euro and is available in the form of a brochure with a brief description of the history of the fortress in English and Serbian.
How to get to the fortress of Forte Mare?
  • On foot: The fastest way to get to the fortress is from the side of the Pet Danica promenade, the fortress leads directly to the promenade with one wall. The other way is through the main town square, down the stairs leading to the sea.

Location