Manastir Tronoša

Korenita, Loznica

Tronosa Monastery - the most important information 

The monastery of the Sabac diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church is located in the village of Korenita near Trsic. It was destroyed at the hands of the Turks and was rebuilt several times. Vuk Karadzic was educated in this monastery, which in 2017 celebrated 700 years of existence.

History of the Tronosa Monastery
There is no precise data on the year of construction, but it is believed that the monastery was built in the period 1276-1282. Queen Katalina Nemanji, the wife of King Dragutin, was the founder of the monastery. It was completely rebuilt in 1559 after the Turks demolished it. It contains a transcription workshop in which liturgical books were transcribed during 1571 and 1581.

Great destruction befell the monastery during the uprisings and the Second World War, when the monastery buildings were significantly damaged and valuable documents and items from the treasury were destroyed. It was renovated in 1964 and 1987. The church of the monastery is dedicated to the Presentation of the Most Holy Mother of God. Although it was originally built in 1317, today's appearance is from 1834, when it was renovated in the Raska architectural style. After painting the iconostasis, the monastery was consecrated in 1834.

Significance of the Tronosa Monastery
  • The Tronosa Monastery has been declared a cultural monument of great importance
  • Vuk Karadzic started his education at the school in the monastery in 1797
  • During the First and Second Serbian Uprising, insurgents gathered in it to make agreements, while during the First World War there was an improvised hospital in the monastery 
What to see
Within the monastery complex for tourists visitations are available:
  • The church
  • Memorial konak with dining a room
  • Museum: an exhibition space with an exhibit covering the early schooling of Vuk Karadzic
  • Concrete fountain: Fountain of nine Jugovićs with the chapel of St. Panteleimon, which is believed to have been built before the Battle of Kosovo and created by Jug Bogdan and the Jugovic brothers.
  • Frescoes by Mihailo Konstantinovic and Nikola Jankovic from 1834.
  • Iconostasis by the artist Nikola Jankovic from 1834 
How to get to the Tronosa Monastery?
The easiest way to get to the monastery from Loznica is by car, which takes a maximum of 30 minutes. If you plan to visit the monastery on the same day as the Ethno-complex Trsic, you can take a bus from Loznica to the school in Trsic and walk from there.
  • By car: from Loznica Follow Valjevski put onto state road 27 all the way to the right turn to state road 139. On that road follow Josifa Tronosac and Resavska streets all the way to the right park on road 333 which leads you to the concrete fountain and the Tronosa monastery 
Additional information
  • On Holy Thursday, a long tradition called "Ratarske svece" is held. Residents of the surrounding villages donate candles that are 2 meters high and weigh about 50 kilograms to the monastery.
  • The poetry award "Tronoski rodoslov" is awarded in the monastery complex
  • To enter the church it is necessary to follow a specific dress code that includes covered shoulders and no short pants, skirts or dresses 


Type of Attractions
  • Brige
  • Museum


Request Booking