Zlakusa - the most important information
Zlakusa is a village in the municipality of Uzice, which has a rich history and is an exceptional tourist place. The village can be visited throughout the year because there are activities for each season, as well as various events. It is located on the right bank of the river Djetinja, on the opposite side of the highway, and the Belgrade-Bar railway passes through it.
History of Zlakusa
Traces of life can be found on the territory of the village from the time of the Romans, and the area was inhabited by Slavs in the same time as other parts of Serbia and it became part of the Serbian state in the first half of the 10th century. The first written traces of the village and its inhabitants appear in the second half of the 19th century, when the census was conducted. The population suffered in all wars from the Balkan wars to the Second World War, but it was always renewed. It gets its biggest boom when tourism develops in that area.
There are several stories and legends about how the village got its name, but it is most probable that the bandits used slope in today's area of the village to attack Turkish caravans full of goods and ducats that went on paved Roman roads, and the Turks called it evil slope - zla kosa. Over time, the voice "o" changed to "u", so that instead of Zlakosa, the village is called Zlakusa.
What to visit in the village?
The village is rich in tradition and is known for its pottery. It can be seen:
- Terzica avlija - Ethno park that preserves tradition and ethnological heritage. It consists of two old Serbian houses, one of which has been turned into a museum where you can see various objects from the 20th century. In the yard there is a dairy, shed, farm and a well of 12 meters.
- Memorial Park "Gallows" - at the entrance to the village, on the left side of the road. It is dedicated to the victims of the Second World War.
- Memorial plaque to the fallen villagers in the war of 1941-1945. years - in the center of the village.
- Memorial plaque to the People's Hero Miodrag Milovanovic Luna - in the woods across from the railway station in Zlakusa.
Also, you can visit the events of the Assembly "Zlakusa in song and dance" (early July), Autumn in Zlakusa (early September) and the International ECO Camp (late June and early July).
How to get to Zlakusa?
You can reach the village:
- By train from Belgrade because there is a station in Zlakusa;
- By your own car - follow the highway E-763, both from Belgrade and from Uzice, and take a turn for the train station in Zlakusa;
- If you come from Uzice, you can come by taxi. We recommend Bravo Taxi 031/554422 and Leptir Taxi 031/500500.