Name of Mary Church - The most important information
The Church of the Name of Mary is one of the most beautiful and recognizable symbols of Novi Sad. It stands out for its imposing architecture and lavish decoration. It is a Roman Catholic church, and among the people it is also known as a cathedral, although it is not.
History of the Name of Mary Church
This imposing building is the first Catholic church in Novi Sad that was successfully built in the first decade of the 18th century. It is located on Freedom Square. The first church that was located in this place was demolished in 1742, but soon after that it was renovated. The church as we know it well today was built in 1895 and was designed by the architect Georg Molnar.
Architecture of the Name of Mary Church
The church occupies an area of 52x25 meters, and it also has a 72-meter-high tower on which there is a gilded cross. It was built in the Gothic style. The sound system of the church is very impressive, so special concerts are also organized here. Pay particular attention to:
- 4 church altars
- Stained glass windows
- Biblical scenes and coats of arms of Novi Sad, influential families
- Church organ from 1904
- Bust of the architect Molnar
Time to visit the Name of Mary Church
- The church is open to all visitors from 8 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.
- The only exception is Sunday when the church is open from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
How to get to the Name of Mary Church?
The Church of the Name of Mary is located in the very heart of Novi Sad. The best way to get there is by walking to the city center.
- On foot: It is surrounded by Zmaj Jovinoma and Njegoševa Street, which you can follow from the direction of Danube Park or Trifković Square.
To enter the church, it is necessary to be modestly dressed, with covered shoulders and no short clothes.