Roman baths - the most important information
Accidentally discovered, the Roman Baths are located in the central part of Cacak, in the immediate vicinity of the Dom kulture and behind the Hotel Belgrade. The reconstruction of that part of the city revealed them in the 70s. They belong to the period of the 3rd and the beginning of the 4th century and are cultural good for the city of Cacak. The National Museum in Cacak takes care of the locality today.
History of the Roman baths
Only 200 meters from the National Museum in Cacak the remains of a building from late antiquity were discovered, which were later determined to be the remains of a hot bath This discovery was made by accident during the construction works on the foundation for a residential building in 1970. After the archeological and conservation works led by the associates of the National Museum, Milena Ikodinovic and Obrenija Vukadin, it was determined that this site consisted of 8 spaces oriented east-west. The thermal baths functioned on the principle of using warm air to heat the pool with underfloor and wall heating. The firebox on the outside of the building heated the water, while warm air circulated through the pool floors and through the hollow walls. Ceramic pipes were used to conduct water, and lead pipes were used to drain it.
The thermal baths were built of brick and stone with glazed windows, and there were hexagonal bricks on the floors that resemble butterflies. The walls were decorated with frescoes in red, light blue and greenish-blue. It is believed that ceramic and glass vessels and glass bracelets and fins were used in such baths. In the middle of the 4th century, the baths were renovated in order to be used for the same purpose until the first decades of the 5th century.
Significance of the Roman baths
- The Roman baths in Cacak have been declared an archeological site of historical significance
- Witnessing the time and life of the Romans while inhabiting our area, the appearance of the thermal baths and their purpose complement the already known knowledge of this historical period and especially indicate how valuable and important body hygiene was.
- They are an important and recognizable part of the tourist offer of the city of Cacak and this part of Serbia
What to see
To this day, the part that covers an area of 340 square meters has been preserved. The cultural information board within the site contains photographs of this site, in addition to the information about the archaeological sites that exist in this area. In the base of the building were observed 3 rows of rooms :
- North and central row: rooms used for bathroom with cold water, gym and changing area
- South row: hot tub, sauna and toilet
- Pillars used for heating
How to get to the Roman baths?
From the center of Cacak you can take a short walk to the thermas and the same route can be used for driving. Taxi services of the city of Cacak are also always at your disposal.
- On foot: you can follow Zupana Stanimirovica Street or Gradsko setaliste to and through Gospodar Jovanova Street all the way to the turnoff at ProCredit Bank, from where the alley leads you to the thermal baths
- Taxi stations: Mega Taxi 032 340350, Pink Taxi 032 320640, Ca taxi 032 320032, As taxi 032 320333
Prior notice is required to visit this site in order to organize visiting groups and a curator