Saint Ascension Church Cacak - the most important information
At an altitude of 245 meters, at the place where the West Morava did not flood, the former monastery Bogorodica Gradacka became the Cathedral of Saint Ascension of Christ. It dates back to the 12th century and is believed to have been built by Zupan Stracimir. The church has been of great importance since its founding and its influence has been transmitted to this day. It stands out with its architectural beauty as the present appearance of the church has been the same since 1929. We suggest that you visit it during your stay in Cacak.
History of the Saint Ascension Church Cacak
It is assumed that the temple was built between 1179 and 1990. The then Bogorodica Gradacka Monastery was equated with Studenica, Saint George Pillars and Hilandar. The abbess of Bogorodica Gradacka has been mentioned as mitropolija since 1453. During Turkish rule, the monastery was deserted and a small group of people from that area took care of its property. The church was turned into a mosque several times, during the Turkish tyranny and uprisings. From 1834, the mosque was again turned into a church by the renovation of Jovan Obrenovic, and then it was officially dedicated to the Saint Ascension of Christ. The painting of the church was entrusted to the artist Zivko Pavlovic. In five zones within the church, he made 48 icons in carved wood, next to which he painted 6 Old Testament plays. During the renovation in the 19th century, the architect Petar Popovic used the styles of Raska temples from the end of the 12th century, while the iconostasis was done by Nikola Jankovic. The last renovation was completed in July of 2011.
Significance of the Saint Ascension Church Cacak
- On the bell that was removed from the church, it was marked down that its founder was the Zupan Stracimir Nemanjic.
- Bogorodica Gradacka Monastery was one of the most important from that time and its transformation into a mosque testifies to the turbulent history under Ottoman rule.
- The church has an antiminis by Arsenije Carnojevic from 1692.
How to get to the Saint Ascension Church Cacak?
The church is only 300 meters away from the City Promenade. Nearby are the National Museum of Cacak and the Nadezda Petrovic Gallery. You can walk to the church, follow the same route by car or call one of the always available taxi services in the city.
- On foot: from the City Promenade, follow Zupana Stracimira Street, from where you will turn into Bate Jankovica.
- Taxi stations: Mega Taxi 032 340350, Pink Taxi 032 320640, Ca taxi 032 320032, As taxi 032 320333
To enter the church it is necessary to follow a specific dress code that includes covered shoulders and no short pants, skirts or dresses.