Town Hall Zrenjanin - the most important information
The former County Palace, and today's City Hall, is the most beautiful and most important building in Zrenjanin. There is not a single significant historical event in the city that is not in some way connected with this building. The fact that this building is a frequent topic in local chronicles speaks of its importance. The town hall is the seat of the town of Zrenjanin and the Central Banat district. Located on the city's Freedom Square, this building has been the most recognizable symbol on Zrenjanin's postcards for more than 100 years.
Appearance and characteristics of the Town Hall Zrenjanin
- It was built from 1816 to 1820 on the site of an old county building, which burned down in 1807.
- The new building was designed by engineer Joseph Fischer, in the Baroque style.
- At the beginning, the Town Hall was without today's domes, with a balcony on pillars, where each pillar was made of one piece of marble.
- The middle part of the building was adapted after 70 years, and the entire left wing was added in the neo-baroque style, according to the designs of Buda architects Đula Partoš and Edo Lehner. Then the roof got an enameled tile, 3 towers were covered with copper, and the staircase with marble. The rooms are parquet, the building has electric lighting, plumbing and central heating. Until then, all these installations were unknown in Zrenjanin.
- The tower collapses and collapses into a large hall due to a fire in 1902. After that, the building was renovated and clocks and windows were installed - stained glass, with the coats of arms of counts and barons, who gave special contributions for the renovation of the City Hall. The most beautiful stained glass windows are located above the main staircase and they symbolically represent Wisdom, Justice and Power.
- The last conservation and restoration works on the building were carried out during 2003 and 2004.
How to get to the Town Hall Zrenjanin?
If you are driving, it will take you less than an hour and a half from Belgrade to Zrenjanin. There are 2 routes at your disposal: via Route 13 and the A1 / E75 motorway. When you arrive in the center of Zrenjanin, it will be easy for you to find the City Hall, since you can reach it with an easy walk, in about ten minutes - across Slobodan Bursaća Street.
The town house in Zrenjanin has another interesting thing, which we will share with you. This is the City Garden, a place where officials and their guests used to rest (it was inaccessible to the public). Today, this garden is a representative green oasis and is accessible to all visitors. It is adorned with manicured lawns, flower surfaces, a fountain and works of art. In addition, in the exclusive part of the City Garden, there is a catering facility, where many cultural and artistic programs are held. So, during the summer evenings, you will be able to enjoy the performances of prominent musicians, writers and actors here.
Working hours of the City Hall
- The town house Zrenjanin is open from Monday to Friday (from 7 am to 3 pm).
- Opening hours on Saturdays are different, so you can visit it from 08:00 to 13:00.