Crkva Presvetog Trojstva - stara katolička crkva

Trg cara Lazara 2, Sombor

Church history
The Church of the Holy Trinity was built by the Bunjevci from Sombor in 1717 on the ruins of old Turkish buildings. A new church was built on the site of the old church from 1752 to 1763, in the classical Baroque style. The church organ was built in 1771, while the pulpit was painted in 1782. Beneath the Church of the Holy Trinity, there is a crypt in which prominent citizens of Sombor of the Roman Catholic faith were buried. This church was renovated in 1939.

Appearance and characteristics of the church
The Church of the Holy Trinity is a Roman Catholic church, which together with the parish office forms a unique architectural whole. Until 1871, this church served as a Franciscan monastery. It then passed into the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic parish in Sombor. It is a single-nave building with a barrel vault. The western facade of the church is characterized by 5 pilasters and 2 pillars, on the capitals of which there is 1 stone sculpture of an angel. A tall bell tower rises from the south façade, and it leans against the wall of the two-storey building of the former monastery. Discharges with multiple profiled wreaths, pilasters and lysines appear in the nave and altar. The high altar partition was painted by Paul Kronoveter in 1784, while the painting and gilding of the choir, organ and oratorio were entrusted to the painter Antonius.

How to get to the Church of the Holy Trinity?
The Church of the Holy Trinity is located on Tsar Lazar Square, in Sombor. If you are traveling from Belgrade, you can reach it by car in 3 ways (the first way is the fastest):
  • by highway A1 / E75 and Route 15 - in 2 hours and 20 minutes
  • by highway A1 / E75 
  • via Route 15.
Additional information
In 1749, in the premises of the parish office, the Charter was solemnly handed over to the people of Sombor, by which Empress Maria Theresa elevated Sombor to the rank of free and royal cities. Conservation works were performed on several occasions: 1963, 1967 and 1976. Work on the exterior of the Church of the Holy Trinity began during the first decade of this century, when the roof of the church was renovated, and during 2016, the facade of the church and the church tower were renovated.


Type of Attractions
  • Brige
  • Museum


Request Booking